I have a kind neighbor that planted a lot of cucumbers. We were harvesting cucumbers the size of my arm faster than we could eat them. That kind neighbor gave us a jar of home made pickles. They were great. Those pickles were unlike anything I had ever had. I love okra. I decided to experiment with my neighbor’s recipe and add some ingredients I thought would improve the flavor. I am going to share my recipe and my process on how I made an incredible batch of okra.
Step1 Assemble the ingredients
- Okra=(2 LBS)
- Garlic=(1 whole clove)
- Mustard Seeds=(1/2 a teaspoon)
- Crush Red Pepper Flakes=(1/2 a teaspoon)
- White Vinegar=(1Quart)
- Water=(2 quarts)
- Salt=(1/2 cup)
- Sugar=(1 tablespoon, I used coconut sugar)
- Canning Jars
- Canning Thongs
- Stock Pot
- Latex gloves
- Sanitize the canning jars
- Fill a large stockpot with water. Place the jars carefully in the water. (I used pint sized jars). Boil the jars for at least ten minutes to kill any bacteria that may be present.
- Place a clean towel near the boiling water. Using thongs carefully remove the jars from the water and let them dry and cool on the towel.
- Boil the pickling solution
- In another large stockpot pour in the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Boil that solution for a few minutes. This amount of pickling solution can make more jars then I have outlined with articles. You will have some left over.
- Prepare the vegetables
- Wash the okra and set it aside in a bowl.
- Slice the jalapeño length ways, remove the seeds and wash the portions. If you want your batch spicier save the seeds and add them with the spices. I suggest you wear latex gloves when you cut the peppers because the oils will remain on your hands for days.
- Peel your garlic.
- Place the garlic cloves at the bottom of the jars. This is not an exact science. You can add more or less depending on your taste.
- Begin packing the okra and the jalapeño slices into the jars. Pack them as tight as you can without damaging the okra.
- Sprinkle the crushed red pepper flakes and the mustard seeds into each jar.
- Pour the vinegar solution into each jar until full. Leave about ¼ of an inch space at the top of the jar.
- Wipe the rim of each lid with a clean towel.
- Place the lids back on each jar and tighten them.
Step 4 Sanitize the jars
Remove water from the stockpot used earlier to sanitize the jars. Place the jars back in the stockpot Cover them completely with water. Let them boil again for at least 10 minutes. Carefully remove them and let them cool on the towel. When they were cool I labeled each jar. Here is an example,
- Spicy Pickled Okra –(today’s date) and the ingredients.
Allow the okra to cure for at least one week. If there is no jalapeño this is not spicy. If you remove the seeds the peppers are pretty tame. You can use this same recipe with various other vegetables. I also have made cucumbers with it. I have used this recipe for jalapeños, asparagus, and green beans. Have fun with it. Please watch our Youtube Video that explains this step by step process.